This multi range sensor is a must for every Physics department. It is highly accurate with an extremely low friction bi-directional position sensor capable of measuring a variety of motions including: pendulum, angular, rotational, distance moved by an object.
Activities and Curriculum:
Physics Investigations with Dataloggers CLICK HERE for Sample
- Motion with kinetics trolley
- The study of pendulum motion
- Simple harmonic motion When used with the Accessory Kit
- Conservation of Angular momentum
- Moments of inertia
- Pendulum investigations
- Gravitational rotational energy
- Frictional torque
- Rotational collisions
- Rotational inertia
- Newton’s Second Law in its rotational form
- Tracking movement in a circle
- Linear displacement of an object
Biology and Chemistry: When used with the Accessory Kit
- Linear movement of gas syringe plunger
- Angular Position: 0-360 degrees (Resolution: 0.1 degree)
- Angular velocity (revs.): ±4 revolutions per second (Resolution: 0.01 rev.)
- Angular velocity (rads.): ±40 radians per second (Resolution: 0.1 rad.)
- Linear distance (uses the Linear rack accessory): ±200 mm (Resolution: 0.1 mm)
- Distance using the 11 mm Pulley: ±200 mm (Resolution: 0.1 mm)
- Distance using the 31 mm Pulley: ±2000 mm (Resolution: 1 mm)
- Distance using the 49 mm Pulley: ±2000 mm (Resolution: 1 mm)
- Pendulum: ±20 degrees (Resolution: 0.1 degree)
The Rotary Motion sensor has is a low friction bi-directional position sensor, which can be used to perform a variety of investigations into rotational mechanics. It contains an optical encoder, which gives a maximum of 1 024 counters per revolution of the sensor’s shaft.
This sensor can be used to measure directly:
- Linear displacement by using any of the pulley ranges or the linear rack accessory.
- Angular displacement using the angular position or pendulum range
- Angular velocity using either the revolutions or radians per second range.
A spoked pulley (3177) can be used with this sensor to convert movement from one angle to another.
Works with the following Dataloggers:
VHub4 and VHub8
Rotary Motion Sensor