1. Get Started by Opening the Box
The handheld digital microscope is a powerful teaching tool, but all new technology can be intimidating. This video walks you through the very first stages by opening the box to see what comes with the SmartMicroScope 5M. Each component is explained. The video details how to put the digital microscope stand together. This video makes it very easy to get started.
2. Which software will you use? Installing/Activating Software
Digital Microscope Software Options
There are a few digital microscope software options for the SmartMicroScope 5M. It all starts with what computing device you are using. If you’re using a PC, you can choose the PC installed digital microscope software or the cloud-based software that is compatible with PC, Mac and chromebooks.
- If you’re using a PC, you can choose the PC installed digital microscope software or the cloud-based software that is compatible with PC, Mac and chromebooks.
- If you’re using a MAC, you can use the Mac installed software or the cloud-based web app.
- If you’re using a chromebook, the best option is the web-app. Simply go to SmartMicroScopeViewer.com and log into the site to view the live HD image, record videos, take pictures, measure, compare, annotate and do a quick assessment. The SmartMicroScope 5M will also work with a chromebook using the camera app that is built-in to all chromebooks, but the image quality is low and there are no advanced features as with the web-app.
PC Digital Microscope Analysis Software requires the license key that can be found on the CD envelope in the bottom of the box.
Mac Digital Microscope Analysis Software requires the license key that can be found on the CD envelope in the bottom of the box.
The SmartMicroScopeViewer.com web app requires a license key that can be found on a business card in the box. A 3-year single user license is included with every 5M sold since 2018.
3. Basics of using the SmartMicroScope 5M
After getting the SmartMicroScope 5M out of the box and installing the software, what’s next? Now the fun begins. View the live magnified image of your clothes, fingernails, hair, slides, fruit, pencil lead, leaves, flowers, rocks or anything around you. Have fun with it as you explore. Learn how to bring things into focus, what magnification the live image is displaying and more.
4. Teaching Materials - All about the Learning Portal
Science investigations for all grade levels are included in the Online Learning Portal for the SmartMicroScope 5M. Each digital microscope activity is aligned to state and national science education standards. Why re-invent the wheel? Use these innovative microscope lessons to get started. Each one is in the 5E model and the alignment details along with the scope and sequence are included.
Digital Microscope Activities Included in the Learning Portal
20 Elementary Science Investigations
20 Middle School Science Investigations
20 High School Biology Investigations
Digital microscope accessories are available for the SmartMicroScope 5M to make it an even more versatile teaching tool. The gooseneck stand is perfect for using it as a dissecting microscope. Simply put the 5M in the stand and start taking pictures or recording videos. The magnification is similar to that of a stereo microscope. 10x to 50x magnification is easily accessible and the cost is much less than a stereoscope. The wireless option allows you to connect the 5M to an iPad, iPhone or Android device. The lens tip set is perfect for moving the scope from one specimen to another for a fixed magnification on each.